Bismarck R-5 School District Honors Local Veterans During Unexpected Times

With today being Veterans Day, Bismarck usually has a big ceremony to honor those who served our country.  However, this year things had to change in order to keep people safe.  Since we did not have a typical ceremony, we have been honoring any Veteran or family of a Veteran who sent in a picture on our electronic sign for the last few weeks.  Below you can see a Veterans Day slideshow of all the local Veterans attached to the families of Bismarck R-5 School District.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vT1uXSIo_Ddmvizn17zxYMQYLtqIzaZNRgNq1HsM_mrv4TNyaGzHz9r_kgLcfYRvyaBCsK7zTq5nooQ/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000

For Veterans Day 2020, Mr. Varhalla and students in his early morning classes handed out breakfast to any Veteran who wanted to be honored with a free breakfast.  Mrs. Bell and Mrs. Crites (seen pictured below) were fixing the food and getting everything assembled for each packaged meal.  Inside each Veteran received biscuits and gravy, bacon, egg casserole, and a cinnamon roll.  The Tackle Box in Bismarck helped out by making the biscuits and gravy for each Veteran.  Thank you Tackle Box for your generous donation and contribution to honor our local Veterans.

Mr. Varhalla, HS History teacher, helped organize this event and he had the following comments today.

“I am glad our local Veterans came out today to get breakfast.  I appreciated that they allowed us to honor them in this way with the current COVID restrictions.  The gift of their time is priceless and I am thankful for the time they served.”  

Our superintendent, Mr. Jason King, can be seen here below helping with the Veterans Day festivities today.  Here are his comments about our Veterans and our efforts to honor them today.

“I couldn’t be prouder of our students and staff who came together today to honor our veterans.  To our soldiers, both past and present: we owe you our thanks, but more than that, we owe you our freedom.  Happy Veterans Day.”

Many students showed their appreciation by lending a hand to distribute meals or help route traffic for those Veterans who came by the school to pick-up their meal.  Below are some comments from our students about their feelings regarding Veterans Day.

“The Veterans were happy to get breakfast from us and I was happy to serve them.” – Cienna Montgomery

“I wanted to help because I wanted to honor our Veterans in some way.” – Trinity Boyer

“I was trying to give thanks to help those who served our country.” – Taelor Halter

“It gave me great joy to give the Veterans happiness when they received their breakfast.” – Eric Jackson

“Our Veterans are very important.  A lot of the freedoms we have are because of them.  We are here because of them.” – Elijah Pearson

“They made America better by serving our country.” – William Donoho

“With everything they have done, they deserve more respect than anyone.” – Jamilou Moman

Thank you Veterans for all your commitment, service, and sacrifice.  You deserve to be honored daily for your efforts.  From everyone at Bismarck R-5, Happy Veterans Day.  Make sure you thank a Vet today.