Where Are They Now?

1MB Louie Lucas State Farm JPEG Quarter PageFor the winter edition of the Smoke Signal, the newspaper staff decided to touch base with a past graduate. We chose to highlight Louie Lucas and his illustrious sports career at Bismarck High School. As many of you know, Mr. Lucas was raised in Bismarck and attended here from kindergarten through high school. Louie used to reside on School Street. He graduated from Bismarck High School in 1974.

While he attended Bismarck High School, Louie Lucas was involved in Student Council, Varsity Club, and was Sophomore Class President. During his time at Bismarck, Louie excelled in several sports. In fact, Louie Lucas is the only Bismarck athlete who received 1st Team All-State Honors in two sports: baseball and basketball. He still holds the Bismarck scoring record in basketball.

After high school, Mr. Lucas went on to play at Mineral Area College for two years. For his junior and senior years in college, Louie attended John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas where he also played sports. After college, he went on to play in the Los Angeles Dodgers Summer League in San Antonio, Texas. Once his playing career was over, Louie went on to teaching and coaching. He taught high school civics at DeSoto High School and was their Head Baseball and Assistant Basketball coach.

While Louie was teaching, he was approached with a business opportunity from State Farm Insurance that he could not pass up. It allowed him to make a better living and 33 years later, he is still going strong. If you are looking for an honest and reputable agent, go visit him at 712 East Main in Park Hills, Missouri. His office is across from the Sonic Drive-In.

When Louie is not working, he enjoys golf and assisting in various baseball summer leagues. Louie has one son, Reid, who is attending Murray State University on a football scholarship. Louie is also heavily involved with the Park Hills Chamber of Commerce.