Bismarck Goes Completely One-to-One by 2020

Back to Article
Back to Article

By: Mercedes Douglas

The 2019-2020 school year brought a lot of changes to Bismarck R-5 School District.  One of the biggest changes that affected almost every student was the change to one-to-one technology.   One-to-one technology simply means that a personal computer would be in the hands of every student by the beginning of the 2020 school year.  The technology department put devices into the hands of all upper elementary and junior high students (3 thru 8) at the beginning of the 2019 school year.

In order to accomplish this task, the technology department has to put in some extra hours.  The team of Ben Moss, Chris Moss, and Isaac Standley handle all of the computer and network issues that arise within the district.  The Smoke Signal decided to sit down with Chris Moss to get his perspective on the technology rollout.

How is the one-to-one transition working out for the upper elementary and junior high?

“The students have done amazing with their new devices and seem to love them. They are utilizing Google Classroom in a manner that helps improve their own instructional time. Last week, we implemented a new STEM lab in the elementary. We are all excited to see educational changes and how the students will individually improve through this new way of learning.”

How much work had to happen behind the scenes to make this district-wide transition possible?

“As a 12 month employee, summer seems to be the busiest time of year. During the summer, we are preparing new systems and devices along with new tasks that come with each piece of technology. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that had to be done in order to get everything ready to go by the beginning of school.

What do you love most about your job?

“I love being able to help the students on a day-to-day basis with their growth in school.  Students and their future are why I love doing what I do.  It makes my job enjoyable.”

What do you think the future of technology in the school will look like?

“Next school year we are hoping to be one-to-one with all of our students pre-K through 12th grade. One-to-one has been very successful and beneficial, and I am excited to see the school and students improve from this.”