Smoke Signal

Homecoming Spotlight: Biographies of Past Queens

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tomorrow night, we honor the Bismarck Homecoming Queen for the 2018-2019 school year.  The theme for tomorrow’s coronation is “Once Upon A Time.”  In order to bring some unity, legacy, and community support into this year’s festivities, we have invited all past homecoming queens to fill out a short biography on their lives here at Bismarck and to fill us in on some things that they are currently doing.

Also, all past queens are invited to attend tomorrow’s homecoming coronation to be honored as well.  The game starts at 6 pm and the homecoming coronation will be around 7 or 7:30 pm.

Please see the list of participants below…

1960 – Glenda Freeman Johnson

(No image at publication time)

What did you enjoy doing in high school?
“I played volleyball, band, and sang in chorus. There wasn’t near as much going on then as now.”
What are some fond memories that you have from your time here at Bismarck High School?
“The fond memories I have are the friendships of the people in my class. I was a cheerleader during my senior year. I have fond memories on the bus riding to game. I enjoyed the cheerleading and going out of town. I also enjoyed watching my brother play baseball.”
What are some things you enjoy doing now?
“Right now, I love to read and volunteer at my local church. I also love hanging out with my grandchildren any chance I get.”

1967 – Judy Welch Hedrick

“I enjoyed playing volleyball & cheering.”
“Everything!! I loved my time at Bismarck High School. My classmates, my teachers, playing volleyball and cheering for the basketball boys.”
What kinds of things do you enjoy doing now?
“I love watching my grandkids playing sports. I also enjoy keeping the scorebook for Bismarck High School sports.”
What is your current job and/or hobby?
“I retired from First Bank after 35 years. My hobbies are going to all my grandkids ball games.”

1970 – Susie Vester Williams

“I loved being on the volleyball team.”

“Being in a small school, everyone knew everyone and we were all friends. It did not matter what grade you were in we were all friends. In addition, I remember the community rallied around the school. The gym was packed for any ball game. All the students and community showed up for support!”

“I have been blessed with a great family and many friends. I enjoy our yearly trip to Cardinal Spring Training and our annual family vacation to the beach. My 2 adult kids and 2 granddaughters always join us!”

What is your current job and/or hobby?
“I work in our small family business, Jostens Graduation Products.”

1972 – Julie Beck

“I loved my classmates, teachers and everything about my Bismarck High School experience. Getting to be the Homecoming Queen my junior year was so neat. Not so much the curtsy at mid court, but thank goodness Robbie Kindle was a good arm to lean on. Ha! It was really a highlight to be chosen by my piers for Homecoming Queen.
I always loved Athletics and I was involved in all sports Bismarck offered. At that time, it was Volleyball, Tennis, and Track. I also was involved with the Boys Basketball team as much as allowed. Basketball was my favorite sport and since there was no girls’ team, I played as much as possible with my brother Merritt and his friends. I watched practices, played with the people after practices, kept stats, and traveled with them most all of High School. It is hard to think we did not have a girls’ basketball team!
I also LOVED music. Teachers Pat and Ben Stewart were wonderful music teachers and really brought the best out of every member. They taught me about teamwork and working together as a unit. They were demanding in a positive manner and got perfection. We were very successful in statewide competitions. So much fun!
I also would be remiss if I did not say that ALL my academic classes and teachers were great! Those that know me understand my first love was always Sports! Nevertheless, I do owe a BIG thank you to you all that helped and inspired me. A special thanks to my Math teachers along the way that stuck with me! Wow, I still sweat thinking about a Hexagon. However, fortunately I had my Big Brother not only to help me in High School but at Mizzou too!
With that said, after graduation I did go on to University of Missouri and was fortunate to walk on the Women’s Basketball team and make the Tiger squad. I also got a scholarship my Junior and senior years! We were very successful and won the Big 8 Tournament by beating Kansas my senior year.
Basketball became my life. After I graduated from Mizzou, I remained and Coached at the University of Missouri for 3 years and then moved to Carbondale Illinois and Coached at Southern Illinois University, for the Salukis for 28 years!
I retired last May and still live in the Southern Illinois Area. Division 1 Basketball was so good to me. Our teams were successful and I traveled all over the country, was fortunate enough thru my recruiting, and teams competition to visit 49 states! Alaska being the only holdout. Our Saluki teams also played in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, and Mexico for some Holiday tournaments. The biggest thing however was that I got to work with, coach, and see awesome young women graduate and become successful! God surely has blessed me!
In general just everything! My friends, teachers and the closeness of a small town. There was only 29 in my graduating class. I just had a blast hanging!
I had so many unreal times. I remember going to the Dairy Queen or Little Store each noon and still I miss the best Hamburgers I have ever eaten!
I was on the yearbook staff and that was a hoot! I loved it all! In addition, the whole area of Southeast Missouri is just beautiful. I loved camping, and going to Johnson Shut-ins, floating down Black River, or skiing Clearwater Lake. I am still in awe when I drive thru the area at just how beautiful it is. Just fantastic!!
I am lucky that I have good health and I am still very active. I do work out and exercise each day in some capacity. I love to run 5 K’s in the summer and I was fortunate to have run a couple of Marathons but now stick to shorter distances for sure.
I love Golf, as well and I am very active still in Saluki Athletics. I love Cardinal Baseball and anything Mizzou Tigers!!
I lost my wonderful Parents in the 2000’s and sadly, my big bother Merritt this past year. I do have a super Sister in law Ann, Nephew Brian, Niece, Rachel, and their spouses in Mid Missouri. I am seeing them as much as time permits!
I do not get back to the Bismarck area much and wish I could be there for the upcoming celebration. I never take my Bismarck High School experience for granted! I loved my small town and would not change a thing!!”

1973 – Paula Hardy Barnes

“I have many wonderful memories from Bismarck High School. I enjoyed playing volleyball, watching basketball games, playing in concert and jazz band, and working with a great yearbook staff. Some of my fondest memories are hanging out with friends, our band trip to Jefferson City, great teachers, and being crowned 1973 Basketball Queen.
Now, 45 years later, I enjoy living here in Bismarck, being a wife, mom & grandmother, having seen my son and daughter both graduate from Bismarck High School. Presently, it is a joy to watch our granddaughter, Paisley grow and learn in the same school system.
I am now retired. My hobbies are grand parenting, connecting with friends, healthy cooking, and reading.”

1974 – Margie Whitener Collins

“I enjoyed working on The Smoke Signal with my classmates under the direction of Mrs. Glenda Mabery and working on the yearbook. I have many memories singing in choir and playing my flute in the band. Always loved going to competitions and having lots of fun.
Nowadays I love spending time with my kids and grandsons and traveling as much as I can. I currently volunteer with a group of women who meet weekly repurposing jewelry that we sell at local venues. We work for Crisis Aid International which is dedicated to raising awareness and funds for survivors of sex trafficking.
I am also involved with our Women’s Ministry at my church. I still dabble in selling real estate and have been doing this the past 21 years.”

1975 – Colleen Wright Mitchell

“I enjoyed everything about Bismarck HS! I was in band and choir, cheerleading, volleyball and yearbook staff. Based on the comments my teachers wrote in my yearbook…I must have enjoyed “talking!” I went on to get a Master’s Degree in Education and taught for 30 years. Currently I am employed at Mineral Area College in the Wellness and Fitness Center, still singing with Book of Ruth and raising critters (dogs).”

1977 – Debbie Wilfong Pilliard

“I enjoyed so many things about school. My class were very close and I loved cheering at the basketball games, going to prom, and our class trip to Six Flags.”
“My fond memories are of my friends, hanging out, and having fun and just laughing. I also married my high school sweetheart and we have been married 37 years now.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“Definitely being with my family. I wish everyone had the experience of grandchildren. They are so much fun.”
What do you do for a living or what are some of your hobbies?
“I worked in the dental field for 10 years and 16 years as a realtor. I have always enjoyed reading and making stain glass projects.”

1978 – Lea Anna Unice White

“My fondest memories of attending Bismarck High would probably be my teachers. Every teacher had some kind of impact on my life. I was very active in Band, Jazz Band (Jim Sowers) and choir (Pam Ruffin). Cheerleading was also fun (Benny Keay), going to all the games and being lucky enough to have Mr. Ruffin be our bus driver to those games. I give Mr. Easter (counselor) full credit for my adventure into Health Information. He helped me get a part-time job at a local hospital and the rest is history. I went on to obtain my degree in Health Information.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“My husband & I have a place at Pomme de Terre Lake. We try to spend as much time there as we can! We love being on the water, fishing and having family & friends join us!”
“I am Director of Health Information for Landmark Hospital, Joplin, Missouri. My hobbies include horseback riding, traveling, being with family & going to the lake.”

1979 – Carrie Wilfong Fisher

“Cheerleading and hanging out with friends.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy spending time with children and grandchildren.”
“I work at Unico Bank in Park Hills, MO. I enjoy camping with my family.”

1980 – Vickie Belknap

“I was the 1980 Basketball Queen and was involved in Band, Jazz Band, Choir, Swing Choir, Madrigal, Varsity Cheerleading Captain, National Honor Society, Assistant Editor of The Smoke Signal, Voted 1980 Miss BHS, Voted 1980 Best Musician, and Valedictorian.
What I most remember about high school was how much FUN we had mainly due to really great teachers like Mr. Sowers, The Ruffins, Mr. Kennedy, Mr. White, Mrs. Mabery and Coach Bradley, Coach Rickus and Coach Knuckles. We also had a super basketball team!
After high school, I obtained an Associate’s Degree from Mineral Area College in 1982 and have worked in Farmington since that time. I have one daughter, Allyn, and four grandchildren who keep the wheels run off Grandma’s minivan.”

1981 – Camille Wright Nations

“Cheerleading, volleyball, band, choir, and socializing were activities I enjoyed at BHS.”
“Mr. Benny Keay was our cheerleading/pep club sponsor. He took pride in making Homecoming spectacular. It was such an exciting time. Our teachers were so much fun. Mr. and Mrs. Ruffin, Frank Bradley, Judy Lennon, Mike Easter, Tom Knuckles, Mr. Sowers, and Mr. Rickus. Their influence made a huge impact on my life.”
What is your current job and/or hobby?
“Vocal music education was my career choice and taught for 25 years. I retired in 2008, but I continue to teach private voice.
I also enjoy hunting, exercising, serving on the Mineral Area College Board of Trustees, family and friends, keep life full and blessed.”

1983 – Joann Ward Kite

“My fondest memories of high school were playing sports (volleyball and basketball). Also, the friendships that were made!!”
“Bismarck High School was a wonderful place to learn and grow. We had wonderful teachers, great coaches and many laughable moments.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy being with friends, playing golf and spending time with my amazing husband and extended family.”
“My career has been in the school of business. As a Director of Business for the Webster Groves School District, I enjoy making a difference for students and achieve success each and every day.”

1986 – Valeria Koenig Loughary

“I enjoy spending time with family and friends. During my free time, I enjoy hiking and traveling.”
“During school, I participated in lots of activities (Science Club, Pep Club, band, sports, honor society, Student Council). I loved being at school and enjoyed hanging out with my friends, teachers, and classmates. When I was in school, we did not have the cell phones and electronics as they do today, so with that, you actually talked to your friends and developed lasting friendships. We wrote and passed notes. With such a small school, we knew everyone. The teachers were very caring and wanted you to succeed.”
“I have fond memories of high school where I made life-long friends. When I was in school, everyone came to all the ballgames, dances and any activities involving the school. Everything centered on the school and any activities they had. We would have Booster Days, rock-a-thons, and many other activities to keep the students and community involved.”

1987 – Carmen Conway Barton

What are some things that you are currently doing?
“I am currently the elementary principal at Bismarck. I am married to Larry. We have two daughters, Heather and Bailey. I have two grandchildren, Gwen and Bronson. This is my 28th year at Bismarck.”
“I enjoy spending time with family, especially the grandchildren. I also enjoy reading and traveling.”
“In high school, I was a member of STUCO. I played volleyball and basketball. I was also a member of NHS.”
“I have great memories from high school. Being a small school, everyone knew everyone and the community was very involved in the school and school activities. We had a large group involved in the booster club and we use to have Booster days with rock-a-thons and talent shows. The crowds at ballgames would fill our gym. I made many lifelong friends in high school.”

1990 – Melissa Evans

“I enjoyed sports and band the most. Playing in the Jazz Band during half time was always a favorite.”

“I have so many fond memories of Bismarck High School and feel blessed to have had the opportunity have grown up in Bismarck. I have relationships and lifelong friends I consider family. I would say Home Economics with Karen Pannebecker-Alexander and the sewing portion of the class will always be a classic. We definitely made a fashion statement. Basketball holiday tournaments. Cruising! The many band-jazz band functions and contests with Mr. Shannon instructing. Mr. Kennedy’s American History class and sitting in the back of the room with Brandi Dooley to Matt Mack discussing his weekend hunting or fishing adventures with Mr. White in Algebra while we finished (wink, wink) our homework. Mr. Ruffin was trying to show us how to dissect a cat, never will forget that! Coach Judy Lennon was also a huge part of my high school memories and many, many other memories.  I am also pretty confident that we altered the ozone with our Aqua Net. Hats off to all the ladies who still have any hair left!”

“I work for Clay County Sheriff’s Office in Liberty, MO (Kansas City area). I am the Public Information Coordinator and Emergency Management Specialist.”

1992 – Jill Faulkner Simily

“I enjoyed several things about high school but playing sports was probably what I enjoyed the most.”
“Some of my fondest memories were being with my friends, cheerleading, playing volleyball, basketball, and winning district titles. I have many memories of the teachers that I had. Coach Lennon, Ms. O, Mrs. Bess, Mr. Ruffin, Mr. Easter, Mr. Springstead, and Mr. Kennedy are just a few who really made an impact on my life. They really cared about the students. We would talk Mr. Ruffin into balancing on his table during class (like a plank/handstand), listening to Mr. Kennedy talk about poetry or Kim Novak, Ms. O would always make sure you were a lady. That meant shoulders back, sitting up straight, speaking properly, and if you wanted an honest answer, ask her. She would always tell you like it is. I remember the time Coach Lennon wore a dress for a date. Hair and makeup! 😉 The memories I have are not really about what I learned at school, but whom I wanted to be like and how I could make an impact on others like they had for me.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I love spending time with my family, teaching, coaching, and watching my kids play ball.”
“I teach kindergarten at West County and coach varsity volleyball.”

1993 – Cindy Wakefield Montgomery

(No image at publication time)

“I enjoyed cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, choir (including our musical plays) and student council.”
“Getting straight 1’s across the board at choir competitions. Going to SEMO in Cape for cheer camp and Mr. Springstead dropping me during a pep rally while playing Chris Farley in a skit we were performing for the school.”
What do I enjoy doing now?
“Spending time with my family and watching my own kids play sports.”
What do you do for a living and what are some hobbies you have??
“I am an EMT for Iron County Ambulance District. For hobbies, I enjoy donating time to helping others.”

1994 – LeeAnn Lovelace Fisher

(No image at publication time)

What kind of things do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy my job, traveling and spending time with my family and friends.”
What did you enjoy in high school?
“I was very active in high school; STUCO, NHS, volleyball, basketball, and numerous clubs. I loved attending a small school and spending time with my friends.”
“I have many fond memories of my time at Bismarck High School. All the volleyball games with Coach Lennon and Coach AuBuchon, STUCO dances and meetings with Mr. Easter. I also enjoyed spending my weekends cruising in Flat River with friends.”
What are you currently doing?
“I am a Family Resource Specialist for the State of Missouri Children’s Division. I spend most of my free time watching my daughter, Karlee, play softball, volleyball, and basketball.”

1996 – Bendi Grisham Dunn

What did you enjoy in high school?
“I enjoyed being part of a small school. I loved playing volleyball and basketball.”
“Most of my memories came from playing sports. Julie Faulkner Ward made a buzzer beater for us to win against Central when Coach Dace was there. It was a memorable win.”
“Now my biggest enjoyment is that my 2 kids, Logan and Madison, are now Bismarck Indians! We love to follow them around watching them play ball. My 2nd love is still horses as it always has been. That love has grown and given my family the opportunity to meet a lot of great people and travel all over the US.
I have been an active Real Estate Broker at my family owned Business for 17 years. My husband and I also own and operate Dunn Ranch! My hobbies are 100% horses. We are very active in breeding, raising and running barrel and race horses.”

1997 – Julie Faulkner Ward

What did you enjoy in high school?
“I enjoyed hanging out with my friends, playing sports, and being close with the teachers while attending BHS.”
“Fond memories while at BHS were snow days, having lunch in the commons area, working in the office with Joyce Conway, being teacher’s aides for Coach Lennon and Mrs. Bess, and knowing all my classmates. We had some good times throughout the years. School was fun and the teachers were great.”
What kind of things do you enjoy doing now? What is your current profession or hobby?
“Now I enjoy coaching sports, spending time with my family and reffing basketball games. I try to stay active with the school I am working at and within my community. I am an instructor at Farmington High School, an event supervisor, varsity volleyball coach, and a basketball official. I enjoy staying active with sports and love everything about coaching and being around students.”

1998 – Brooke Marler Dugal

“I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends. Whether we are making dinner and watching movies, going craft shopping or simply grabbing a quick lunch, as long as I am with great company, I am happy. I also love to watch sports, from my children and other family members to any college or professional sport on television; I am a huge sports fan!”
“Not much has changed! While in high school, I enjoyed pretty much the same things as I do now. Being with family and friends is how I spent most of my time. I was involved in many clubs and activities in high school. Just like today, I spent much of my time in the stand, cheering for Bismarck on the courts and the field.”
“I have many great memories of Bismarck that make me wish I could go back and replay the best of them. With a list that goes on and on, the simple fact is, we had fun! The classes were fun, the teachers were fun, the clubs/sports were fun, even cruising the big town before and after school was fun! The key to all of this was the people with whom we shared these moments. Now, we all share these memories, and many of the friendships made here at Bismarck have become lifelong.
Whether we speak daily, keep in touch through social media, or by chance run into them, one thing is certain, there is no time lost. The friendships have lasted throughout the years and picking up where we left off is effortless. Even though we have all went our separate ways, high school feels like forever ago, all of us a bit older, and hopefully wiser still have one thing in common, being a Bismarck Indian! Once an Indian, always an Indian!”

1999 – Lynne Barnes Wisdom

(No image at publication time)
“I was active in sports, choir and several clubs. Even though it was and still is a small school, there were lots of opportunities to get involved.”
“I have fond memories of time spent with friends and my high school sweetheart, who is now my husband.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I love to travel, and I enjoy spending time with my family. I am enjoying watching my daughter, Paisley, grow up at Bismarck school just as my husband and I did.”
“I am a professor at Mineral Area College, where I teach business and accounting courses. My hobbies are reading and playing the guitar.”

2002 – Katie Taylor Martinez

“I love to hike, travel, and adventure with my family and friends….then blog about it!”
“SPORTS!! Cruising on Friday and Saturday nights, hanging out with friends, and going mullet hunting!!”
“I really enjoyed being involved in a lot of school activities. One of my fondest memories was when our volleyball team went to state. Besides sports, I loved participating in other school events and activities. Our pep club was one of the best around.”

2004 – Lindsey Taylor Matthews

“Playing volleyball as a Bismarck Lady Indian.”
“The highlight of my high school career would be winning 4 district volleyball championships and going to the state championship!”

What do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy time with my husband and fur babies while golfing, boating, jogging around our lake, and taking adventurous trips to beaches, mountains, or just camping in the woods!”
“I am a teacher at Kingston K-14 and coach Varsity Girls Volleyball. My husband and I enjoy all types of hobbies from friendly sporting competitions to vacationing to relaxing on our back deck.”

2005 – Sarah Fisher

“Enjoyed staying active in sports and clubs.”
“I enjoyed playing Volleyball all four years of High School. I also enjoyed going to class from Kindergarten to 12 with the same group of friends and graduating with a class of 30. My daughter attends Bismarck and I still see some of the same teachers I had when I attended high school. I also enjoy tonight being able to share this experience with my Mother, representing 1979.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy spending time with family and friends, and travel when possible.”
“I am the Hematology/Hemostasis Lead at Mercy Hospital Jefferson in Festus. Aside from working full-time, I enjoy watching my 6th Grade Daughter, Alyssa, play in Volleyball, Basketball, and Fast-pitch softball.”

2007 – Treena Rothlisberger

“I actually loved high school, so anything other than math. I was above average in lunch also.”
“Human bowling at student council lock-ins. Or hide and seek. Really just student council lock-ins.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“Running after a very rambunctious 7 year old along with 3 dogs.”
What do you do for a living and/or what are some of your hobbies?
“I am currently working at US Tool as a step drill splitter. When I get time for hobbies, it is art, writing or playing music, and the stereotypical girl answer. I like to shop.”

2008 – Heather Gamblin Grisham

“I enjoyed competing competitively in volleyball, being involved in extracurricular activities, and hanging out with my friends.”

“Some of my fond memories at Bismarck are going to Sectionals for volleyball and winning homecoming queen in 2008.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“I enjoy checking cows, working on the farm, riding, playing volleyball, and spending time with my family and friends.”
“I currently work for Jeremy Brauer, Attorney at Law, as a Legal Assistant.”

2009 – Tori Henson

“Spending time with my family and friends, being active and playing sports, being involved with my church, coaching, and teaching, working on and around my house.”
“Spending time with family and friends, playing softball, basketball, and volleyball, being involved with the church.”
“Winning districts in volleyball and basketball, being goofy at pep assemblies with friends, hosting Fields of Faith on the baseball field, StuCo and FCA lock-ins, and winning Homecoming Queen.”
What they are currently doing?
“I was Homecoming Queen for the 2008-2009 school year. Currently, I am teaching 5th grade at Bismarck and coaching volleyball, basketball, and softball.”

2010 – Jeni Purdue Green

“After school activities were my favorite; especially spirit squad.”
“Being around my friends and seeing them every day. Though now we are grown and not as close as we used to be, those will always be memories I will always cherish.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“Relaxing on my days off and spending time with my family/friends.”
“I am a full-time retail worker. On my days off, I enjoy spending time with my husband and planning to start a family.”

2011 – Balee Lorenz

“I am currently living In Springfield, MO. After graduation, I attended College of the Ozarks and then later settling in at Southwest Baptist University where I obtained my Bachelors in Nursing. I work at one of the level one trauma centers in the emergency department. I recently took on a specialty position as a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. I do not have any plans yet to return to school but staying busy getting specialty certifications. I love my job.
A day off work for me consists of reading the Bible, pleasurable reading and doing CrossFit. I have met great people in Springfield and enjoy growing with them. I currently own a truck I cannot afford, have not bought a house and have no kids but I’m enjoying what God has given me and I just take one day at a time worrying less and loving more. I have learned to understand the things I can control and to let go of the rest.
Some fond memories I have from my time at Bismarck high are all centered around the people I found myself with daily. I had great friends and amazing coaches. I can remember the countless hours I spent doing nothing. I enjoyed being involved in student council and other various clubs. Here are just a couple words that can sum up my whole experience….Volleyball, The AuBuchons, basketball, Mrs. Lee’s cookies, Art with Weston, Ole Hag, softball, The Taylor’s, friends, school dances, Wednesday night youth group, lock-in, zoo field trip, Mrs. Bess’s computer class, vending machine lunches, and lunch ladies. Thanks Bismarck for the great memories!”

2012 – Teagan Lorenz Watson

“I am currently a veterinary technician at the Veterinary Clinic of the Mineral Area. I have been married for a little over 3 years. I have a 2 1/2 year old son named Sawyer and will be expecting my next child in July 2019. I enjoy spending time with family; still try to play golf when I can, paint, and help my husband with our livestock. I enjoyed playing volleyball for Paula AuBuchon, getting to see my best friends every day, staying busy in clubs like student council, FCA, NHS, and playing golf. I enjoyed the dances and prom. I would say my favorite memories were playing volleyball with my older sister, Balee, and my sister passing on the crown to me for homecoming queen.”

2013 – Taylor Cole

“In high school, I enjoyed hanging out with friends and spending time with Jordan.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“Right now I currently love being a mom to two beautiful boys.”
“I work Corizon as a certified phlebotomist.”

2014 – Maddison Franklin

“Being involved with student organizations, playing softball, and cheerleading. Outside of school, I enjoyed being active within my church’s youth group and spending time with friends. You could often find a group of us headed to Elephant Rocks or Steak n Shake.”
“Playing on the softball team. We always had fun with each other and there was never a dull moment.”
What do you enjoy doing now?
“Now in my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family, collecting vintage vinyl records, and watching Parks and Rec on Netflix.”
“I currently work for the Exceptional Child Education Cooperative in Houston, Missouri as a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant!”

2015 – Kaitlyn Loughary

“During my time at Bismarck High School, I enjoyed spending my time playing volleyball, basketball, and softball. I also enjoyed being a part of student council, FCA, and pep club. Most of my fondest memories from high school stem from these activities.
Now I am approaching my final two semesters of obtaining my Bachelor of Science of Middle School Education with an emphasis on Mathematics at Southeast Missouri State University. I enjoy spending my time with the friends I have made throughout my years attending Southeast Missouri State University and participating in events with my sorority. I also love taking advantage of every opportunity I have to come back home to Bismarck and spend time with my friends and family here.”

2016 – Rylie Grundmann

What do you enjoy doing now?
“I am currently a registered nurse and attending Central Methodist University in hopes of obtaining my Bachelor’s degree in nursing. In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends and going shopping.”
“Winning two district championships in volleyball, becoming homecoming queen, graduating valedictorian, and growing lifelong friendships.”
“I enjoyed spending time with my friends, playing volleyball, and going to basketball and baseball games.”

2017 – Alyssa Sago

“In high school, I enjoyed staying busy through athletics and a variety of clubs. Being a 3-sport athlete while being involved in many different clubs allowed countless opportunities and friendships to come in my direction.
I was fortunate enough to attend Bismarck School for all of my years in school. The small, family-like atmosphere allowed me to obtain some of my greatest friendships and memories. A few memories I will carry with me forever are the Student Council state conventions, traveling for athletics, and simply being around some of the greatest people.
Now that I am out of high school, I enjoy playing softball while attending Mineral Area College. I also enjoy hiking with my dog Sadie, spending loads of time with my nephew Easton, and eating Mexican three times a week with my college friends.
I am a full-time student-athlete at Mineral Area College and I still live at home. I currently work at Carla’s Café and I also just received an associate teaching position at the daycare in the new Centene building in Farmington.”

2018 – Madison Dugal

“I am currently attending Mineral Area College, playing softball, coaching a volleyball team, and working. Within the next couple of years, I hope to become a teacher. I have many fond memories of playing sports through high school.”