Smoke Signal

Bismarck Faculty Spotlight: Homecoming Queens of the Past

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bismarck Homecoming has always been a very celebrated event in the community.  This year, all homecoming queen candidates will have a float in the Christmas parade on Saturday, December 15th at 5:30 pm.  The 2018-2019 Bismarck Homecoming Queen Coronation will take place after the basketball game on Thursday, December 20th around 7 or 7:30 pm.

In a way to honor our queens of the past, we are inviting all queens to come back that night to be recognized.  As a lead-in to the upcoming festivities, we would like to highlight some current Bismarck faculty members who once wore the homecoming tiara.  Below is a short biography of each faculty member.

Val Loughary – 1986

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing now?

“I enjoy spending time with family and friends. During my free time, I enjoy hiking and traveling.”

What did you enjoy doing in high school?

“During school, I participated in lots of activities (Science Club, Pep Club, band, sports, honor society, Student Council). I loved being at school and enjoyed hanging out with my friends, teachers, and classmates. When I was in school, we did not have the cell phones and electronics as they do today, so with that, you actually talked to your friends and developed lasting friendships. We wrote and passed notes. With such a small school we knew everyone. The teachers were very caring and wanted you to succeed.”

What are some fond memories that you have from your time here at Bismarck High School?

“I have fond memories of high school where I made life-long friends. When I was in school, everyone came to all the ballgames, dances and any activities involving the school. Everything centered around the school and any activities they had. We would have Booster Days, rock-a-thons, and many other activities to keep the students and community involved.”

Carmen Barton – 1987

(no picture available currently)

What are some things that you are currently doing?  

“I am currently the elementary principal at Bismarck.  I am married to Larry.  We have two daughters, Heather and Bailey.  I have two grandchildren, Gwen and Bronson.  This is my 28th year at Bismarck.”

“I enjoy spending time with family, especially the grandchildren.  I also enjoy reading and traveling.”

“In high school, I was a member of STUCO. I played volleyball and basketball.  I was also a member of NHS.”
“I have great memories from high school.  Being a small school, everyone knew everyone and the community was very involved in the school and school activities.  We had a large group involved in the booster club and we use to have Booster days with rock-a-thons and talent shows.  The crowds at ballgames would fill our gym.  I made many lifelong friends in high school.”
Brooke Dugal – 1998

“I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends. Whether we are making dinner and watching movies, going craft shopping or simply grabbing a quick lunch, as long as I am with great company, I am happy. I also love to watch sports, from my children and other family members to any college or professional sport on television; I am a huge sports fan!”

“Not much has changed! While in high school, I enjoyed pretty much the same things as I do now. Being with family and friends is how I spent most of my time. I was involved in many clubs and activities in high school. Just like today, I spent much of my time in the stand, cheering for Bismarck on the courts and the field.”

“I have many great memories of Bismarck that make me wish I could go back and replay the best of them. With a list that goes on and on, the simple fact is, we had fun! The classes were fun, the teachers were fun, the clubs/sports were fun, even cruising the big town before and after school was fun! The key to all of this was the people with whom we shared these moments.  Now, we all share these memories, and many of the friendships made here at Bismarck have become lifelong.

Whether we speak daily, keep in touch through social media, or by chance run into them, one thing is certain, there is no time lost. The friendships have lasted throughout the years and picking up where we left off is effortless. Even though we have all went our separate ways, high school feels like forever ago, all of us a bit older, and hopefully wiser still have one thing in common, being a Bismarck Indian! Once an Indian, always an Indian!”

Katie Martinez – 2002

“I love to hike, travel, and adventure with my family and friends….then blog about it!”

“SPORTS!! Cruising on Friday and Saturday nights, hanging out with friends, and going mullet hunting!!”

“I really enjoyed being involved in a lot of school activities. One of my fondest memories was when our volleyball team went to state. Besides sports, I loved participating in other school events and activities. Our pep club was one of the best around.”

Tori Henson – 2009

“Spending time with my family and friends, being active and playing sports, being involved with my church, coaching, and teaching, working on and around my house.”

“Spending time with family and friends, playing softball, basketball, and volleyball, being involved with the church.”

“Winning districts in volleyball and basketball, being goofy at pep assemblies with friends, hosting Fields of Faith on the baseball field, StuCo and FCA lock-ins, and winning Homecoming Queen.”

What they are currently doing?

“I was Homecoming Queen for the 2008-2009 school year. Currently, I am teaching 5th grade at Bismarck and coaching volleyball, basketball, and softball.”