Smoke Signal

Celebrating Jason Boyer and His Attempt to Capture All-State Honors

Today, Bismarck JH/HS students decided to give Jason Boyer a proper send off as he travels today with his coaches to compete in the State Cross Country Championship in Jefferson City, MO.  Boyer qualified for the state event placing 6th in the district run at Cape Girardeau, MO one week prior.  Jason has to finish this weekend in the Top 25 in the state in order to achieve the All-State Cross Country designation.

At 11:30, all Bismarck students lined the hallways to cheer on Jason one last time collectively before he competes on Saturday.  The Spirit Cart led the festivities followed by Jason giving high-fives on his way to the van.  Jason has grown a lot this year as a runner.  Below, you will see how Coach Warren and Coach Eaton feel about his growth and the honor of being a state competitor as well as some pictures and video of today’s celebration.

Coach Eaton

Can you give me some information on how you feel about Jason’s progress this season?

“Jason’s progression has been awesome to watch.  Here is a kid who had no experience running cross country and who struggled to run a complete mile without having to stop and walk.  Jason has a consistent drive to get better in all that does, so it’s no surprise that he progressed as fast as he did.”

How proud are you of him and his growth this season?  Give me some examples.

“Words cannot describe how proud I am of Jason.  Not just his amazing progression and growth in such a short amount of time, but his work ethic and desire to get better.  Every day, Jason shows up with great enthusiasm and a positive attitude.  He is willing to do the things that others are not, and that is why he has seen this type of success.  And for that, I have the upmost respect and admiration for Jason.”
What are some of the words that you would use to define his growth and efforts this season?
Some words to describe Jason and his efforts this season:
-Sacrifice (Jason understands that success is not given, he has earned everything he’s received)
-Effort (everyone says they want success, but not everyone is willing to pay the price.  Jason paid the price with his consistent effort)
-Confidence (every single day his confidence grew.  He understood that if he continued to work and make sacrifices, no one could deny him his goal)
What would you tell future runners about the Bismarck Cross Country program?
“I would tell ALL athletes at Bismarck, not just future runners, that Jason is a perfect example of what it takes to achieve success.  There is no magic formula for accomplishing goals.  Alot of athletes talk about winning and say they want to win, but their daily actions don’t align with their goals.  Jason’s daily work ethic, positive attitude, and consistent mentality of refusing to be outworked are the most influential factors that allowed him to become a State caliber runner.  My hope is that all students and athletes will understand it was his countless hours he spent working on his craft that allowed him to accomplish what he has.  He didn’t just “show up” and become a great runner, he EARNED it.  And no one will ever be able to take that away from him.  A great athlete, but an every better kid.”
Coach Warren –
“Jason’s progress has been impressive. His first day he couldn’t run a mile and just three months later he’s running for a state championship. Some days he runs up to seven miles.”
“I’m very proud of him. He’s put in weeks of two a days and also balanced basketball as well. There’s been days he hasn’t been 100% and he still grinds through and pushes himself. He’s also dealt with a calf injury the last two weeks but still a managed to have an impressive finish at districts.  Jason is an example to everyone at Bismarck that cross country can be rewarding and you can be successful. He’ll be the first to tell you that it wasn’t easy, but if you are willing to push yourself anything is possible.”

“Cross country is a sport that will show someone what they are truly capable of.”