Images from Veterans Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Images from Veterans Day

Last Friday, Bismarck R-5 School District honored our local veterans with breakfast and an assembly.  The Bismarck Veterans Day Assembly was held at 8:45 am.  Organizing efforts were conducted by high school history teacher, Abe Warren.  Breakfast was served for all veterans at 8:15 am in the new commons area.  Our local VFW presented the colors to start off the ceremony.  Following the presentation of colors, Bismarck music teacher, Matthew Boyer, led the high school concert choir in the “National Anthem.”

After the “National Anthem”, second graders led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance.  Mr. Warren then opened the ceremony with an informational video about the history of Veterans Day.

The Bismarck Band and Choir collaborated after the opening of the ceremony for “Salute to the Armed Forces” in which each veteran stood during the playing of their branch’s theme.

Senior Madison Dugal was set to read her Voice of Democracy speech, but she was a little under the weather.  Sophomore Josie Campbell stepped in to read Madison’s speech.

Elementary students Alyssa Brake and Zara Masters read their patriotic poems to represent their appreciation of our veterans after the Voice of Democracy speech.

This year’s keynote speaker was Dr. Damon Gamble.  Dr. Gamble was in the United States Air Force from 1968-1972.  Dr. Gamble also served as Bismarck Superintendent before retiring in 2010.

Mrs. Katie Martinez read some closing remarks to help cap off the ceremony.

Once Mrs. Martinez finished her remarks, Senior Ashley Turner played “Taps” while the VFW 6947 Military Honors Team retrieved the colors.

Thank you all for your service and risking your lives for our freedom!!

(Photos credited to Brooklynn Fitzwater & Levi Missey)