Smoke Signal

Teacher Spotlight: Science Teachers Explain Their Account of the Total Eclipse

Back to Article
Back to Article

By: Kelsy Carrington

August 21, 2017, marked a historical event for the continental United States. For the first time in over 40 years, the contiguous United States witnessed a total solar eclipse. The line of totality went right through our hometown of Bismarck. In honor of this “once in a lifetime” event, the mass media department interviewed Bismarck Junior and Senior High science teachers.

We started the interviews off with asking the teachers what they were doing during the eclipse. While Mr. Blunt and Mrs. Crites opted for a short “Watching the eclipse” answer, Mr. Hagerty went into a little more detail.

“I was hanging out in the swimming pool, just watching outside in the backyard.”

Next, we asked them if the eclipse was everything they had hoped it would be. Mr. Hagerty and Mrs. Crites smiled and said that it was, and it was actually even more. Mr. Blunt enthusiastically explained his point on the eclipse.

“The whole eclipse was pretty cool. The absolute totality was awesome. That was better than I thought it was going to be.”

Then, we asked if they had seen the shadow bands. Mr. Blunt said that he saw them on a white sheet and Mr. Hagerty saw them on the side of his house. Both agreed that they were really neat; Mrs. Crites gave an unfortunate answer.

“No, because where I was located at, I was on an edge of totality where I only had one second of totality.”

Don’t worry Mrs. Crites; we’ll be in the line of totality again in 2024!

Finally, we asked what the teachers thought of the corona and Bailey’s beads. They all gave separate answers, but there was one thing they all could agree on. The corona and Bailey’s beads were all a spectacular sight.

The eclipse was a wonderful way to start the 2017-2018 school year. It was quite a spectacular sight for all of us. Though it was rather short, we know one thing for certain, we will be watching and waiting for the next total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024.