Honoring our Beloved Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Skinner

What do you say about someone who works in the same room for 31 years?  What words come to mind?  Well, words like consistency and reliability echo in my mind.  Mrs. Jan Skinner has been a fixture at Bismarck longer than some of the tangible fixtures themselves.  To call her a mainstay would be an understatement.

Over the last 31 years, Mrs. Skinner has been teaching at Bismarck elementary in Room 124.  Today, the school came together to honor her with a touching tribute organized by her husband, high school English teacher Mr. Terry Skinner.

Under the guise of a MAP Preparation Assembly, Mr. Skinner started to rouse the students by dabbing and pepping them up as shown below.  He gradually transitioned from standardized test prep into what kind of life lessons students learn when they are young.  During this presentation, Mr. Skinner delivered a handful of flowers to Mrs. Skinner sitting with her kindergarten class.  While trying to hold back her tears, Mr. Skinner escorted his wife to the middle of the gymnasium for a slideshow that compiled photos of her and her students from years past.

After the presentation, all of her current and past students huddled around her for photo opportunities and hugs, which included some current Bismarck staff.  Some of Skinner’s immediate and extended family came out to attend the event too.

Congratulations Mrs. Skinner on a well-deserved retirement.  We hate to see you go!  Thank you for instilling knowledge and compassion into the youth of our community for over thirty years!!

Below, you can see the photos of the assembly.